- To produce well trained professionals of Microbiology for Nigeria’s industries and higher instituitions and mankind.
- To avail ourselves and our professional services and experience to our country in the area of identifying and solving socio-economic problems of our time including:
- infectious diseases and their management challenges;
- pollution problems caused by various industrial, developmental and social activities such as oil spills and other environmental depreciation activities through monitoring and and application of control measures based on microbial biotechnological processes including development of microbial consortia for application in the restoration of polluted sites especially by bioremediation abatement;
- exploitation of the potentials of microorganisms in industrial manufacturing processes and food nutritional enrichment;
- exploitation of microbial potentials for generation of sustainable alternative energy resources (bio-fuels);
- exploitation of microbial potentials for the enhancement of agricultural output especially food crops for food security;
- search for suitable and sustainable methods and materials for the control of negative effects of microbes on human socio-economic efforts;
- To offer training and services to our immediate environment in the state in the area of sanitation and water treatment and other relevant needs.
- Our program has been designed to train students in Microbiology techniques.
- To give a basic knowledge on the fundamentals of Bacteriology, Mycology and Virology, Algology and Parasitology, and their relationships to other disciplines.
- To expose our students to both pure and applied courses in Microbiology in order to satisfy the manpower needs of schools, institutions of higher learning, research institutes, agricultural establishments, industries and hospitals.
- To encourage independence and confidence so that the students can make informed and meaningful contributions in whatever professional activity they may be engaged in, as well as be capable of identifying and appraising problems including management of human and material resources.
- To offer and to combine theoretical principles with a realistic approach to the problems and needs of a developing country such as Nigeria.
- To enable promising graduates to undertake postgraduate work in Microbiology and related discipline in pure and applied sciences.
Admission through UME: The basic requirements for admission are as contained in the University’s General Regulations in relation to the science disciplines except that the qualifying subjects must include credit level passes in Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry and at least one other science subject at the SSCE or equivalent.
Admission by Direct Entry: “A” level pass in Biology,English and one other science subject in addition to the “O” level requirement.
Requirements for the Award of Degree: The minimum requirement for the award of the degree of B.Sc. Microbiology is satisfactory completion of not less than 147 units and 108 units of course work for UME and Direct Entry candidates respectively. Other requirements are those stipulated by the University for the award of first degree under the course unit system.